Monday 27 May 2013

Day 60: The hardship of chewing and sensitive teeth!

So a quick update from my last post; I still can't put my bands in where my ortho wants them at night because it's simply too far back, so i've been wearing them where I do during the day. I have an appt with him this week so hopefully he can sort it out! I've also been abit poor on the picture front just lately so i've added a few on this post of pictures i've taken over the weekend!

I never realised how hard chewing would be again since getting the all clear to go ahead and start again. I understand that I haven't done it for 8 weeks and my body is probably a bit like 'what are you doing' but I thought it would be something that you would never forget, like riding a bike or swimming. Something you never lose. Well I have lost it, and i'm finding it really difficult to start again!

I can't move my bottom jaw side to side when I chew, it's very up and down. Pair this with the fact I can hardly open my mouth, it doesn't really leave much room to actually move the food around in there. One thing I'm attempting to do to try and get this back is to start moving my bottom jaw side to side slowly. It won't budge all that far and to even get it to move that tinest amount takes alot of effort! I'm hoping slowly (and I guess it will be very slowly) my body will get used to it again, but right now, I find myself favouring soft foods just so that I can avoid chewing! One thing that happened today in this process of chewing, was that I stabbed the back of my mouth with my fork. Don't ask how it happened because I honestly don't know! :P

This weekend is my graduation ball, and is the first time i've eaten out in public, so should be an extremely fun experience! For starters is soup. Now, i've only had soup once since my 'liquid diet' and that was last week. My mum gave it to me for dinner and I was mortified, I took one spoonful and refused to eat it. I couldn't stand the liquid-ness in my mouth, and to be honest I  think i've had my fair share of soup for life! I'm hoping that either the soup at the grad ball is so nice I can't resist it, otherwise I'm sure James and Dave will scoff it down between them both! :P

Another thing that is really annoying me just lately is the return of feeling in the places where i'm still completely numb; half of my bottom lip, a patch in my chin and my gums. At the moment the nerves in these areas are crazy! One slight touch will send weird sensations all about my face, which really makes my hairs stand on edge! It's got to the point now where I can't wear lipgloss because I can't stand the feeling, and I cringe when I put foundation on! With regards to the feelings of my gums returning, it's made my teeth incredibly sensitive. I've never suffered with sensitive teeth before but again, I hate it! I hate brushing certain teeth that are 'more sensitive!' I guess with all this feeling returning I should just grin and bare it, and be thankful that they're actually waking up. :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow Emma - every single thing you wrote , right down to the 'choosing soft foods' and the cringing when you put make up on. I can identify with all of it ! Thank you for writing this blog, it has really helped me get through the past 62 days! Hope you're doing well, if you discover any tricks for the side to side moving, please share ... I'm having a hard time with it. I don't like hearing my jaw make noises !

    Take care and congrats on graduating
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! :)

    It's lovely being able to relate isn't it? It makes me feel more human and alot more normal! Congrats also for making it to this point! How time has flown!

    Side to side is a chore! I hear my jaw click ever so slightly when I attempt it, but still haven't found it very successful, so again to you, share tips if you find any! :P

    Hopefully this time next month we'll be able to say a complete opposite thing - I hope atleast!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chloe! :) Slowly but surely getting there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean! My teeth suddenly got sensitive today and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. It's like they are screaming at me all day!

    Today when I was eating, I ran my tongue over to the side of my mouth to get some food and realized I moved my jaw to the side and heard a click - ahhhhhh! Is that supposed to happen?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that using sensitive toothpaste just at night time helped a little but not totally i'm afraid!

      And I think the clicking is normal. I'm experiencing it one side when I attempt to move my bottom jaw side to side, and other people are too. But i'd check with your surgeon anyway when you next visit him, as I will too! Just incase! :P

      xx

      Delete
  5. Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment
    (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm
    thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for novice blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it.


    Feel free to visit my blog ... Ripped Muscle X\Lean Muscle

    ReplyDelete
  6. U look great . It seems since our jaw is in new position everything is hard because it is hard for me to put my rubberbands on also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent article. I am experiencing some of these issues as well.
    .


    corexin

    ReplyDelete